Spring seems to have deserted us for a while, the weather forecast is even predicting snow for tomorrow, with the kids off for the Easter break, too wet and cold to go out that left only one thing to do-make a Chocolate Cake.We here at Lake Avenue House love Chocolate, and a chocolate cake on a cold wet day seemed the only way to go . I had seen this recipe on the back of a bag of flour, sounded easy only thing it had mayonnaise,yes I know, sounds strange, mayonnaise in a cake, but thought we would give it a try. Surprise, surprise it works, lovely cake, nice and moist with a great chocolate kick, perfect comfort food.
Chocolate Cake Recipe
225g/8oz Plain flour
25g/1oz Cocoa(note I added an extra tablespoon)
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
1teaspoon Vanilla Essence
300ml/½ pint Water(note I only used half of this water)
Filling & Topping
Hazelnut chocolate spread
- Preheat oven to 180c/350F/. Lightly grease and line a 8 inch deep cake tin. I used an 9inch with a funnel.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa and bread soda into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla essence and mayonnaise until light an fluffy
- stir the flour and water alternately into the egg mixture(begin and end with the flour)
- Pour into tin and bake for about 30mins until firm.
- Cool in tin for 10 mins, transfer to wire tray and let cool.
- Split cake in half, spread hazelnut chocolate spread on one half then assemble again.
Then enjoy. We sampled our cake while it was still warm with chocolate spread oozing out. Yummy